Thursday, May 10, 2007

Lunch time

Greetings to all of our friends back home!
I just took a second out of lunch to drop you all a quick note and update you on our second day on the job. Everything is going just as well as planned and we are making amazing progress in all areas. Today is a big day for the renovation team; they are adding tension to the cables in last years bridge and replacing the existing turnbuckles. They have already switched the turnbuckles and will finish with the tensioning after lunch. Amy was telling me how excited she was that all the steps of the process are working out perfectly (knock on wood); it looks like they planned very well!
The water team has been working all morning to build the filter box and prepare the location for the filter. The gutters will be going up shortly and concrete mixing will follow.
As for our construction team, we are working on preparing the foundations and setting up to assemble bridge sections. It has been a productive morning all around.
Dr Gwinn thought that I should enlighten you with the highlight of my yesterday. While we were assembling some turnbuckles I was sitting on the ground in the drive at the clinic. While I was working I felt some pricklies and thought there must be some bugs under my behind, so I took a little scoot forward. Turns out I was sitting in a pile of dust-size metal shavings! Let's just say I was a little uncomfortable for the rest of the day. :-)
I just can't express the joy that the children here bring to us every day. Yesterday we had an amazing devo (led by David) and sharing the experience with all of the locals who came out was wonderful. The children are always so excited to see us and never get bored watching us work and calling out to us. Yesterday a couple of them got ahold of one of our two way radios and had a ball talking to Jon and David. All of the local villagers are so eager to set up and help us, they have been working right alongside our team and I know how much they will appreciate the bridge and filter both. It is so encouraging to watch their enthusiasm when David reads scripture or delivers a message or story. Their hearts are so open to the Lord and accepting of our team. It is truly a blessing to work hand in hand with these people and I wish you all were here to experience it.

Love from Guatemala,
Sheena T

PS Mary Ann, your cookies are WONDERFUL (as always!). We have certainly been enjoying the snack ;-)

1 Comments:

At 2:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sheena,

Thanks so much for your update!

Love and prayers,

Dr. D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home