Thursday, May 11, 2006

este es el dia

A song we sing here in Spanish goes like this: "Este es el dia que el Senor nos dio." It means "This is the day that the Lord has made." I am reminded of a man back home who follows this phrase with "We are rejoicing and being glad in it, aren't we?" Well, friends, we are. Today has been an amazing day. This afternoon we experienced our first (for some of us) Guatemalan rain storm. It was wonderful.

On the technical side, today we finished stringing the cables, made and painted several sections, put one section on the bridge, (I apologize if I have left something out) and came back because of the rain. Today went well.

James had a stomach bug today. We hope that he will be well tomorrow. Keep him in your prayers.

The village we are working in has amazing people. They have been eager to help. They are skilled, trustworthy, and patient with us. The children especially love to help. They are wonderful and readily obey their elders. They have been taught well.

Tonight at our devotional we shared reflections from today. One of the men who works here with Health Talents, Carlos, told us that because our group is actually doing what we promised (building a bridge) the people of the village have grown to trust us and the people of Health Talents. He said that we can and will have a great influence because of the way we are working together, all of us willing to help each other. The Guatemalans are constantly willing to help us, waiting to be given a task and stepping in without even being asked when help is needed. Today several of our group helped the Guatemalans as they mixed and poured concrete. Carlos said that this makes a huge difference to them because they highly value hard work. John 17:20-23 says:
20"My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, 21that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. 22I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one: 23I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me."
These are Jesus' words as he is praying. This week I have been praying that we would work as one so that people could see God. God is faithful, just as he always is, and is doing this. I pray that he would continue. Keep us in your prayers, as well as the people we are working with and for.

~Heidi

2 Comments:

At 9:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heidi, your message really touched me today. Thank you for letting your faith shine through your words as well as your work and love for God's children.
Today as I was teaching my high school German class, I asked my students, who are all around the world, to pray for your mission. I just wanted all of you to know that your faith in action is making a difference to people whom you will never meet, but it is an important difference nevertheless. Yes, let us rejoice and be glad!
We here at home are so very proud of each one of you and you are constantly in our thoughts and on our hearts as we pray "without ceasing" for you.
Linda

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger Daniel Hudgins said...

Aww, Heidi! Remember back in the day when we had to build that aweful "tractor" to pull the weights. That's when I really got to know you well, and from then, I have always respected your patience, because you had to have a lot to deal with me not enjoying engineering as my major :) . I know you love it, and I am praying for your entire team while you all are down there. Keep that energy high for these last few days!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home